Thursday, March 22, 2012

Classroom Library Linky Party

I love children's literature and passing along the "literacy love" to my kindergarten friends...
 and to my own children.

I buy a ridiculous amount of books each month... many of which I need to drop directly at school after shopping so that I avoid the "do you REALLY need MORE books" conversation with my husband! ; )

I need some INSPIRATION for my classroom library... making it more organized and purposeful for the students... 

One of my favorite treasures of my reading corner is this gorgeous bookcase that my husband built for me:


I just LOVE that the books really get to shine! : )
The books on this shelf are always changing with the theme. 

This idea came from Ann Marie Corgill. I had the pleasure of hearing her speak at Lakota Literacy View... and reading her book, of Primary Importance. 


PEEK at her classroom HERE!

Here is the rest of my library/reading corner:
(where I need HELP!!)


Do you keep you library set up all year or change baskets as the year goes on?
Do you use the library area for "shopping" for books... and another space for the reading corner. 

favorites are housed in the baskets and on the white shelf

leveled readers (students select take home books from these baskets)

I would *LOVE* to have you all join me in sharing pictures of your reading corner. 


Share your favorite parts, explain how you organize, show ways you've made it special or "cozy" or.... use your post to ask others for advice.


I CAN'T WAIT to see YOUR reading corners/classroom libraries!!!! 


Let's Link Up!







18 comments:

  1. Thanks for the linky party! I have some books out all year, and others that I rotate in and out. I keep a separate area for leveled readers. I display seasonal books and genre study books in my outward facing bookshelves. I added two links. One link is from my literacy blog and the other is from my home blog. All of my blogs can be found at www.homeiswheremystorybegins.com

    Thanks for the opportunity to link up!

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great question. This is super hard for me too! I love buying books. I did pack up some books this year when switching from first to k but I find that I keep taking more and more of them out. The only problem is that I don't have enough shelving or baskets. I have even debated taking out my "teacher" books for my kids to read. I'd rather that the books go into the hands of little ones who need exposure to reading than having them sit and collect dust until I need it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea for a linky party! I will have to take pictures and join monday!

    Michelle

    Apples and ABC's

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yay! I could really use a library makeover :)
    ☼Libby
    Dual Kinder Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to take pictures after spring break of my classroom library so I can join your linky party! Great idea. I love looking at how everyone organizes their books!

    Sarah
    Sarah's First Grade Snippets

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your blog! My favorite part is the Kindergarten Corner. Do you allow the children to use this? I need to provide my students with more choices on the computer during literacy center times and am wondering if I could just let them use a board like that?? Thanks for inviting me to your Linky Party, I just don't have any pics to link up right now...maybe later this week!
    Krissy
    Mrs.Miner’s Monkey Business

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this linky party. My goal for the summer is to reorganize my classroom library. I need to make more of my books accessible to my kids. I don't have any pictures right now but maybe I'll do it later this week. Great idea.
    Ms. Kerri and her Krazy Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all so much for joining the party! : ) I can't wait to look through all of your libraries. Michelle and Sarah I am excited to see your posts! Ms. Kerri, I am looking forward to reorganizing my library this summer!!! Mrs. Miner, yes I created the Kindergarten Corner for my students and they use it in the classroom. The symbaloo boards were fun to create and I think they are great- organized, colorful, and clear. My students also report using the Kindergarten Corner at home! : )

    Looking forward to checking out all of your posts! THANKS!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I use the same buckets in my library! Target, of course! They are so durable and I love the bright colors. The small ones are perfect for chapter books and the medium-sized ones are great for picture books.

    Sara :)
    Smiling In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this linky party and your blog. I am your newest follower!

    Erica

    Sprinkles to Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  12. I linked up to your party and posted about it with a link back to you!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Amy!!

    What a great idea for a linky party! I love looking at other teacher's classroom libraries and getting ideas for my room! So glad I found your blog! I am a new follower! And I love the name of your blog! We both obviously love laughing! :)

    Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your linky party idea! I'm going to have to link up after I take some pictures of my classroom library. I'm so glad I found your blog. I am your newest follower. Stop on by my blog if you get a chance.

    Have a fabulous weekend!
    Krista
    stellar-students

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a great linky idea! I can't wait to see everyone's libraries!

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you all so much for your kind comments... and for linking up! I am really enjoying peeking into all of your beautiful classrooms!!

    So inspired by all of your great ideas!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love all these ideas, I really need to reorganize!! I will take some picks next week and link up.

    Aloha,
    Corinna
    Surfin' Through Second

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi ,
    Your blog is so cute I am your newest follower. I posted my classroom library which is small but I think cute and blogged about it on my site!! Thank you so much for doing this I always get a kick out of seeing others organizational skills (and stealing some ideas ;) )

    ReplyDelete