Sunday, April 15, 2012

Non-Fiction Writing Unit

We just wrapped up our Non-Fiction unit in Writer's Workshop.













 I am so proud of the work that my students did during this unit. 

They read non-fiction.
They wrote non-fiction.
They know non-fiction.
They love non-fiction. 

One thing that I love so much about teaching is that I am always learning. 
Every year I am learning how to better teach and challenge my students. 

Here are some (new and old) ways that I helped my students learn non-fiction:

Read many, many GREAT non-fiction mentor texts to my students. 

Two of my students' favorites include:

and 

This Super-Sized animals series is THE PERFECT collection of mentor texts for Kindergarten children. It was THE reason many of my students decided to include glossaries!! 



You can check it out here:



I also s-l-o-w-l-y, explicitly taught each non-fiction text feature...

After learning about a feature and locating it in several texts, we had "try-it" time... working specifically on that skill or text feature. 

(labeling)

(captions)





(fun facts)



The students really LOVED this and it helped me guarantee that every student had a solid understanding of the choices they could make and features that they could use as a non-fiction writer...
 BEFORE beginning their actual books.

We made a non-fiction penguin book together:

Then the students were ready to research and write on their own. 
Many students used our non-fiction book collection or 


to collect information.

It was so rewarding to watch their passion and skill grow each week!!
Check out some of their non-fiction writing: 



(really, there is nothing on page 4, ha!!!)


I have to give shout out to Dee Dee as I got several new ideas from her. 
Her non-fiction post was amazing!

3 comments:

  1. I love it! Your class did an amazing job! It looks like you just surrounded them with all the tools and learning they needed! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your ideas and pictures, they are very helpful!

    ReplyDelete